Friday 14 December 2012

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts

Now I'm really excited.  There I was, scrolling distractedly though my Facebook newsfeed the other day and suddenly this catches my eye... "John Grant returns with second album Pale Green Ghosts". 

Released Monday 11th March on the Bella Union label, this album has been a long time coming for his devoted fans.  Thankfully, John has allowed us to take a peek at the video for the title track, Pale Green Ghosts http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ux1fglC0aT0  and I am pleased to report this is something really special. 

John's album from 2010, Queen of Denmark, was a work of such exquisite beauty that I must admit I was a little nervous as I clicked on the video to take my first listen.  How could John ever come close to that first album (you can find me waxing lyrical about it in one of the very first Music Truffler posts if you're interested).  But thankfully, he has returned with something a little different but still outstanding.  This track has a wonderful throbbing electro sound to it - menacing and yet beautiful at the same time (how could it not be with John's melting baritone over the top?)

Recorded in Iceland, the album includes Sinead O'Connor on guest vocals.   A quick glance through his Facebook page reveals that his fans are more than thrilled with this song.  There is mention of a March tour, but I can't find anything about it yet except one gig in London on 17 March.  Never mind London... come up north... AND SOON!!! 

http://johngrantmusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment