Tuesday 9 April 2013

Hollis Brown - Ride On The Train

I'm quietly addicted to this album at the moment, and especially to the title song.  Hollis Brown's album Ride On The Train came out in the UK on 5th March and the single, also called Ride On The Train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GlNKST3_Rc  is a wonderful, chugging piece of Americana - with more than a nod to those 60s and 70s bands such as CCR. 

The band, who come from New York City, take their name from a Bob Dylan song and the album contains 10 fabulous tracks whose timelessness is even more remarkable when you consider the young age of all the band members (all born in the early 1990s).  But of course that doesn't matter a bit because good music will always find a way out and many new artists today are discovering this style of writing and singing for themselves these days. 

Ride On The Train came to my attention as a free track on a cd that came with a music magazine.  Not a bad cd, but this was the track I kept returning to again and again, until I was intrigued enough to find out more about Hollis Brown.  And I'm glad I did because I know I'll be enjoying their album for a long time to come.

You can try before you buy on Spotify or on www.pastemagazine.com.  And check out their website and Facebook page for more details on the band.

http://hollisbrown.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment