Wednesday 30 November 2011

Husky - Dark Sea

Husky are an Australian band who don't particularly sound Australian.  I've been asked to justify this statement and, to be honest, I can't really.  After all take a listen to The Walkabouts who are American and have just released their latest brilliant album but who definitely sound Australian.  OK maybe it's just me. (I always think Arcade Fire sound Australian too - The Triffids have a lot to answer for, I guess!)

Anyway, Husky are a new band to me who are quite difficult to research, bearing in mind that they share a name with a popular breed of dog and also at least a couple of other bands across the decades.  They were brought to my attention last week and although I am trying to steer away from the sudden influx of beards and acoustic instruments heading this way at the moment, I keep returning to their fine album Forever So which contains the track Dark Sea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gey_wfeaHYU&feature=player_embedded  and also the idyllic Tidal Wave amongst other things.  You can stream the whole album on Soundcloud.

The band started off in their hometown of Melbourne and are now performing sell out shows across Australia and have also supported Noah and the Whale and Devandra Banhart amongst others.  'Pensive', 'dreamy' 'thoughtful' are media descriptions of the album but don't let that put you off (as it almost did me).  Make yourself a cup of coffee, put your feet up in front of a roaring fire and enjoy.


http://www.huskysongs.com/




 

No comments:

Post a Comment