Monday 25 July 2011

Danny and the Champions of the World - You Don't Know (My Heart Is in The Right Place)

I've been waiting for the release of this album for a couple of months now.  The release date appeared to shift forward a little every time I looked and then I completely forgot for a while and before I knew it, I find it has been released for a week and I'd missed it!

Anyway, the new album by Danny &The Champions Of The World is called Hearts & Arrows.  The track, You Don't Know (My Heart Is In The Right Place) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOBqnlqivcQ&feature=player_embedded
can be watched here.  (Phew! Long band title AND long song title!)  On first listening, this album reminds me more than a little of a Bruce Springsteen but without the constipated vocals.  I don't suppose I should be surprised to read then that the band contributed a track to a Springsteen tribute EP released for Record Store Day.  I have to admit to being a little disappointed on first listening to Hearts & Arrows.  I've just listened again to early D&TCOTW tracks from their self-titled first album and also Streets of Our Time, and I feel they sounded better then.  More original and honest.   But maybe I'm being a little unfair.  I've only listened to Hearts & Arrows once so far so maybe it will grow on me.  Time will tell.   Do check out their first albums too though (tracks on MySpace).

For those of you who are new to this London band, they were formed after Grand Drive (a band formed by brothers Danny and Julian Wilson) called it a day.  After an impromptu session at a farm in the grounds of the Truck Festival, Danny Wilson formed Danny and the Champions of the World and went on to gain critical acclaim with their music and albums and have since toured with The Magic Numbers and The Drive By Truckers.

http://www.dannyandthechamps.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment